Thursday, December 20, 2007
I have had this idea for quite some time now. Last night I watched Star Wars Episode I- The Phantom Menace for the first time. I have never seen any of the Star Wars movies and thought it would be interesting to watch all six of them, in chronological order. I'm sure most people around have seen them, 4,5,6,1,2,3 so this could be a new perspective on things. The only thing I knew going into Episode I is that the little kid was going to end up being Darth Vader. Other than that I was a blank slate.
I enjoyed Episode I, although it was nothing to get too excited over. I was surprised by, although loved the blatant political references to our own history. For some reason the land battle sequences didn't quite do it for me. On the other hand, the flying scenes got pretty exciting, especially Anikan's pod race. If you have ever seen Jingle All The Way, everything Anikan says will probably make you laugh. Other than that, Jar Jar Binks made this movie quite a pleasurable watch. His speach, although most of the time not understandable, was a hilarious combination of stereotypical discriminatory dialects.
Favorite Episode I characters
5. Queen Amidala (right)- As well as being attractive, she was both sweet and powerful. Her interactions with Anikan were very motherly and I enjoyed them. I also loved when she would tell Qui-Gon Jinn what the Queen would want while acting as one of the Queen's helpers.
4. Qui-Gon Jinn- I love Liam Neeson and in the role he brought so much confidence and intelligence that I feel it was hard not to like him. I do think it's kind of funny that he will basically be completely responsible for Darth Vader getting out of being a slave.
3. C3PO- It just doesn't get much better than a gay robot. Now I know robots can't really be gay, but have you heard this guy talk? Hilarious stuff. If he had more of a major role in this episode he probably would've been higher on this list.
2. Anikan Skywalker- I'm assuming his performance was enhanced for me by the fact that I know how dark he ends up. When Qui-Gon first comes to see him, Anakin is such a giddy little boy and every time he would say something joyful it was great. I definitely began to love this little kid and it will be sad when he gets some of this dark side in him.
1. Jar Jar Binks (right)- What a great character. Any time he spoke I couldn't not laugh. He was so lovable in the fact that he was staying to Qui-Gon's side because he saved him earlier in the film. The fact that this water living type of species in the future speaks poor English gets at the heart of my comedic value.
...stay tuned for Episodes 2,3,4,5,6
Posted by Dan Forcella at 9:29 AM